Would you like to stay for dinner? Oh you would? Great! I’ll cook one of our Hello Fresh boxes we had delivered earlier today. You’ll love it, let me tell you about our experience.
Husband and I wanted to try a meal delivery service after we found we were wasting a lot of food. Our problems were as follows, maybe you can relate.
- We would buy groceries with no real meal-plan, thus throwing lots away from it going bad.
- We would not be in the mood for what was in the fridge.
- Our busy schedules seemed to entice us to eat out several times a week.
- Last minute events, birthdays, bbq’s, parties, would prevent us from eating our fridge food when we were invited elsewhere.
- We didn’t feel like cooking.
- My taste buds are different than my hubby’s.
- Our go-to recipes were becoming meh.
- Husband and I would argue on how to make a certain dish, his way vs. my way.
My hubsand and I both know how to cook. Not pros, but we can follow a recipe. I even used to teach cooking classes and host cooking shows on cruise ships, so I know my way around the kitchen, I’m aware of a pretty good variety of ingredients and I understand terms in a recipe. However, now having a family and a busy schedule, I have found that eating has become a chore. I enjoy the cooking part, but I don’t enjoy the shopping, storing and the “figuring out” what to make each and every night. I felt like it was a lot of pressure to make food that I, my husband and toddler all wanted to eat. I also wanted to find recipes that were healthy.
So we tried Hello Fresh! We bought the Groupon for 10 meals for two people for two weeks (The current deal has several options) and one box of 5 was delivered on Monday of each week.
What we love!
- Delivered on time each week in recycled packaging and cooling packs.
- Our boxes and ingredients were undamaged.
- Each meal is contained in a box, properly labeled.
- Each ingredient is portioned specifically for each meal, thus keeping everything extra fresh. For example: If lettuce is used in two meals- for a salad meal and on top of a burger meal…the lettuce will be in separate sealed bags for each of those meals. You won’t open one bag of lettuce, then reseal it for later in the week, when it might go bad. Everything is sealed and portioned per meal, for the most part.
- We look forward to cooking together! I do a paragraph, Husband does a paragraph. We don’t argue anymore and it’s a nice bonding time bumping into each other in our small kitchen!
- Our palates are expanding. Even though we don’t like onions, we put in a little if the recipe calls for it because we want the intended flavor of the end result.
- We don’t buy a lot at the grocery store- just some simple breakfast foods, lunch stuff and baby foods.
- The boxes fit perfectly in the fridge!
- No food waste- we eat our plates clean!
- By having a visual of 5 meals in the fridge staring at us, we make it a POINT to eat at home. Now if we are invited to a restaurant for a friend’s birthday, we eat a meal at home, then just get an appetizer or a dessert when we go out. Keeps us goal oriented.
- Healthier, well portioned. Each meal is like 500-700 calories. Keeps us in check.
- You can skip a week if you leave town, etc.
So that’s the run down. I tried to keep it concise and simple to follow. We are very happy with Hello Fresh and no I’m not getting paid for this post, although I wish I were! I just wanted to provide you with a review since it is something you would be figuring into your monthly budget therefor you’ll be researching how it works before jumping in.
We all love photos, so here’s some evidence of our Hello Fresh week! We are now regular subscribers. When my parents come in town, we might up the portions to 4 people for the weeks they’re here. That way we don’t have to stress when family comes in. Just a little more money and it’s all done for us. Pretty awesome.
You can do the recipes out of order if you want. You might not be in the mood for pizza and want pork or visa versa. And you can put the proteins in the freezer until use.
Below are the meals we made using the instructions. They turned out very similar to the pictures! We just had one instance where the chili was a lot smaller than I think it was supposed to be. Otherwise everything was in pretty good shape and fresh!
Pan Seared Salmon with Arugula-Mint Pesto, Quina Salad, and Char-broiled Snap Peas
Pan Seared Chicken with Yukon Potatoes, Green Beans, and Creamy Dill Sauce
Seared Steak and Nectarine Salad with Feta, Pecans, and Shallot Viniagrette
Caramelized Veggie Skewers with Summer Corn relish and Herby Couscous
Chicken and Nectarine Panzanella with Mint, Zucchini and Fresh Mozzarella
Beef Tenderloin Skewers with Charred Sweet Corn and Chipotle-Lime Butter
Summertime Pork Snitzel with Yellow Squash, Tomatoes, and Yukon Golds
Jamie Oliver’s Chili Con Carne Meatballs with Sweet Peppers and Black Beans
Vegetarian Burrito Bowl with Salsa, Crispy Black Beans, and Monterey Jack
Pork Chops with Rosemary-Grape Salsa, Sweet Potatoes, Roasted Broccolini
All in all we are very happy with the service. If you’re interested try to find the most recent reviews of meal deliveries because even since last year, the packaging changed to the individual boxes versus bags as an update.
I hope my review brought insight, clarification and enthusiasm for Hello Fresh! If you liked it, please share/pin/post/subscribe as it would mean a lot to me! Cheers, my friends and bon appetite!