Tips to Organize your Way to a Pin-Worthy Closet
Since it’s October, I thought I would show that I don’t have any skeletons in the closet…with a Linen Closet Makeover! And to make it more fun, my friend Alexandra- she’s also a Guest Host at HSN with me thought it would be fun to do a little closet home tour! So be sure to check her closets out as well on Home with Alexandra, I’ll leave the links below!
Like everyone’s closets, mine was waaaay overdue for a major overhaul. I mean, I just tossed stuff in there like people do in the movies and I would just rummage through when I needed something which most of the time lead to me not finding what I was looking for. And if you’ve read my Glam Garage Laundry Room Makeover post, you’ll know that the real motivation behind me organizing an area is not for beautification exactly, it’s so I know if I have critters and specifically spiders in the house.
So, enough was enough, oh and the husband was out of town. Now motivation #2 for this closet renovation was actually as a request he made. We don’t have walk in closets or storage areas like that. Because of that, we put his bulky Marvel and Star Wars sweatshirts in the foyer closet (yes he has enough to fill a closet). Wellll, we also keep the vacuum in that closet and sure enough it was making his sweatshirts smell. So he asked if we could move it. And at first I didn’t think we had an option, but once I realized we do have room in the hall closet if I clean it.
And my blog is Honest Abe here. I don’t like to tweak things just for a dramatic effect. So I’m NOT even kidding when I show you the before pic. It is legit and true. I didn’t make it extra messy or anything just for the picture. It’s embarrassing but I want you to know organizing can be really easy and your closet can look just as nice if not way better! I totally believe in you!
Okay, don’t be scared but here is the before…
And with a few tips like these it got cleaned up!
- Take EVERYTHING out and splash a nice fresh coat of paint on!
- Buy baskets that match your decor- mine happen to allow me to see inside them which I really like.
- Separate your books or heavy items- spread the love and weight to other shelves. Don’t place all books on the same shelf otherwise it will bow.
- Add hooks, and utilize vertical space.
- Be thrifty- I kept the same shelves and brackets- just wrapped them in new shelf paper.
- Make it pretty! Add details like my coral bookends, marble shelf liner.
- Add light! This closet had no light whatsoever. So I added a battery operated elbow lamp from HSN. The brand is It’s Exciting Lighting– check it out for many other designs and sconces they have! After Irma, I decided to put up a few battery operated sconces so we can still live in several rooms when the power goes out. So I have this closet covered, the guest room, the hallway and the foyer.
So what’d you think? Better huh? If you are craving a couple other closet makeovers and want inspiration for a walk-in closet and tween closet, be sure to visit Alexandra’s blog too! She’s a doll and is HSN’s guest host for all things home. Happy organizing everyone!